Wednesday 30 December 2015

Dusty and Me

Walking with my wife in Brighton, saw a poster advertising a Dusty Springfield concert coming to the Dome Theatre. Slashed across it was a CANCELLED sign.

I was a big fan of hers so I went in and enquired why it was cancelled. I was told that she’d only sold 12 tickets so the show was scrubbed. She’d cancelled it.

Five or so years later I was having a drink in the Colonnade bar next to Brighton’s Theatre Royal. It was full and there were crowds of people outside. I went outside to see what show was on. THE DUSTY SPRINGFIELD SHOW. God lord, now Dusty is dead there are people clamoring to see a double in her frocks, a wig and singing her songs . Where were all these people five years ago? Very, very sad.

I’m not dead and I’m not as famous as Dusty but we’re in the same boat. Nobody wants to come and see me. I’ve cancelled Liverpool and Lewes because of the dribble of ticket sales. She cancelled her show at The Dome. 

So I’m in good company, aren’t I? 


She didn’t want to play to bus queue of people and nor do I.

3 comments:

  1. RAY, belated Happy New Year to you and Sadie
    Best wishes
    Simon (Drew)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ray, I had a ticket for your show in Lewes. Was disappointed show was cancelled, but can understand reasons. I hope you will perform soon in Kent or Sussex, would love to see you sometime. Best Wishes for 2016, Andrew White

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray it's a weird life, fame is one of those things you come to realise is not as important as it's made out to be
    All the 'stars' of today will be replaced by more in coming years, I often see actors in 80's shows and wonder what became of them....are they alone in a bedsit? Alcoholics? Dead even. Did you know Big Deal is in YouTube? Most episodes, it's great to see that again, I watched it as a kid and I love seeing the old betting shops and old London, makes you realise how shit it's all become now. I live in the past. It's comforting.

    ReplyDelete