About Me

My photo

Plenty on Wikipedia and on IMDd.  Those two websites are great for the date and place of birth, as well as listing the TV, films, stage and radio I've worked on.  What they don't do is describe what it was like working on those productions, alongside the wonderful and sometimes not-so-wonderful personalities involved. They also don't divulge the highs and lows of over 50 years of marriage, bringing up three kids as well as emerging grandchildren. If you're interested, Learning My Lines (my autobiography), Echoes (my first novel) are for sale through my website, as is an archive of my blogs from 2009-2013.

Friday, 21 August 2015

IS IT JUST ME?

I get a lot of people wanting signed photos and others wanting to hear about Mr Benn. I send them. I don’t mind.

Now, is it just me, but I never get a ‘thank you‘ response from any of these people. Is it asking too much?


I was always taught to say thank you. What’s gone wrong?       

7 comments:

  1. I must admit, somewhat guiltily, that I've never sent a thank you note after receiving a signed photo, but in my defence I have always said thanks in advance and presume writing a letter praising the actor in question suggests how thankful you are for their performances etc and in turn their kindness in sending you a photo as requested. Plus I dunno I always feel like writing in the first place is a bit of an intrusion, that I don't want to bother them further with another letter. Interesting post though - wonder if there are people who send thanks or just people who do much the same as me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, sending a thank you before you receive anything seems a bit pointless. But if it works fair do's. But an email is hardly in intrusion. Actors are ordinary people although some I agree have puffed up egos.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah if I was corresponding with someone via an email I think a quick thank you would definitely be in order - I know I've done that with yourself, or rather your son, in the past for a copy of your album. But I was thinking more about writing to an agent to request a signed photo. I've never sent a subsequent thank you c/o the agent after receiving a signed photo.

      Delete
  2. I did email you to thank you for the signed copy of "Lies" so hope you received it, though it was a while back. Are you working on another book at the moment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't knocking you, Ann. It just I've had a hell of a lot of requests recently and it was getting on my nerves when I didn't even have a reply as to wether the stuff had arrived. Yes, I am working on a novella at the moment, when I have time, it's called The Running Boy. Wish me luck!

      Delete
  3. Best of luck or should I say " break a leg" Do let us all know when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray if I get to 76 and my misses is still asking me for anything I will be over the bloody moon, never mind people who know me LOL. But your right as my granddad use to tell me when I was a little boy manners cost nothing and manners make men, not sure I ever understood the last part of that. But to you I guess its still a BIG DEAL (sorry couldn`t resist).

    ReplyDelete